Playing tests for the Stravinsky and Bartok will take place May 5, 6, 7, and 8. Instead of doing a separate playing test and journal assignment, you exam will be inclusive and include the following:
- Playing portions of the two works at the performance tempo. Have planned in advance any simplification to get through the most difficult passages. (50 points)
- Bring a sheet of paper typed with the following information (25 points)
- At least one source that you consulted in your research of these composers/works. Scholarly articles are preferred
- Two recordings that you have listened to in preparation of your part and understanding how it fits into the whole. Cite name of orchestra and conductor.
- I will ask you to discuss things you learned in your research of the piece. Mention anything interesting about an article you read. Your success in teaching me more about the piece is evaluated. I may also ask you about the recordings you consulted and about what you liked best and/or didn’t care for and why? (25 points)
This test will constitute 15% of your total grade.
For those of you not enrolled in orchestra, talk to Dr. Jacobs to discuss your options for this playing test.