Click here for Mozart Requiem Performance Practice Tips with images
- General principle: the NOTATION is NOT the MUSIC !
- Staccato = buoyant, circular motion of the right hand in touching the strings with the bow
- Fermata = abrupt stop, no ritardando
- Long notes need to have direction and grow towards what follows
- Chords = bottom of the chord happens on the beat
- Appoggiaturas are almost always long and ON the beat
- Bowing = start on strong beats, on weak beats, bow as it comes whenever possible
- Phrasing = when in doubt, follow the text
- Cadences = strong penultimate note, weak final note
- Vibrato = a special ornament to be used sparingly; no continuous vibrato!
- Strings use 1st position and open strings whenever possible
- “In the 18th century the bow lives off the string and goes on when needed”
- Accented beats are not stronger than normal, but unaccented beats are weaker!