- General principle: the NOTATION is NOT the MUSIC !
- Staccato = buoyant, circular motion of the right hand in touching the strings with the bow
- Fermata = abrupt stop, no ritardando
- Long notes need to have direction and grow towards what follows
- Chords = bottom of the chord happens on the beat
- Appoggiaturas are almost always long and ON the beat
- Bowing = start on strong beats, on weak beats, bow as it comes whenever possible
- Phrasing = when in doubt, follow the text
- Cadences = strong penultimate note, weak final note
- Vibrato = a special ornament to be used sparingly; no continuous vibrato!
- Strings use 1st position and open strings whenever possible
- “In the 18th century the bow lives off the string and goes on when needed”
- Accented beats are not stronger than normal, but unaccented beats are weaker!
Newport Run-out schedule
Friday, April 28 – Pick-up passenger van at UO Motor Pool (Evan, Dr. Jacobs)
Saturday, April 29
- 10:00am – pick-up cargo van from U-Haul in Glenwood (Evan, Dr. Jacobs)
- 12:00pm – Arrive at UO School of Music (eat lunch before coming)
- 12:30am – Load charter bus outside the clinical services building
- 3:00pm – Arrive in Newport (check-in if rooms are ready) Evan and Andres go to NMS to set-up for rehearsal
- 3:45pm – Sound check rehearsal (end at 5:15pm)
- 6:00pm – Dinner provided at Newport Middle School (optional). You may go on your own into town.
- 7:30pm – Attend combined schools mass performance
- 8:00pm – UO Performance (Tchaikovsky Symphony #5)
- 12:00am – suggested lights out
Sunday, April 30
- 7:00am – Passenger van leaves to take those wanting to leave early
- 11:00am– check-out of hotel, Lunch/shopping on your own
- TBD – Charter Bus meets at Shilo Inn and returns to Eugene
Hotel accommodations (downtown is a 15-minute walk from these hotels):
- Shilo Inn, 536 SW Elizabeth Street, Newport, OR 97365
- The Whaler, 155 SW Elizabeth Street, Newport, OR 97365
Newport Middle School:
- 825 NE 7th St, Newport OR 97365
Sign-ups for Fall 2016 auditions are now online. Visit the “Auditions for Fall Term” from the Auditions drop-down menu above. Happy practicing!
I hope you are having a wonderful summer. Audition materials (strings) for Fall 2015 are now posted on our website under the “Auditions” tab. For wind/brass/percussion, you will either play two contrasting etudes/solos, or you will have specific pieces/excerpts given by your studio teacher. Dr. Dorsey is working with the studio faculty to get those excerpts compiled and posted. We hope to have this completed by August 15. For questions, ask your studio teacher.
Hello all. We will be performing Tchaikovsky Symphony #4 to begin next season. Here is a great introduction to the piece with the Chicago Symphony and Alexander Polianichko, incidentally whom I studied Tchaikovsky #5 with in St. Petersburg a few years ago. Please watch it and get excited!