Application deadline for the UO Conducting workshop is March 20. As long as you complete the online application by March 21 you will have full consideration. Application fee can be mailed separately and must be received by March 30. See below for full post.
The University of Oregon Summer Conducting Institute is designed for nine experienced, pre-professonal conductors to learn how to better use both musical creativity and gesture to get more of what you want from the orchestra. Master teacher Neil Varon from the Eastman School of Music will show participants how to achieve both technical and musical clarity to their beat in both piano/string quintet and full orchestra sessions. Dr. David Jacobs, Director of Orchestral Studies at the University of Oregon will assist Maestro Varon and give a one-on-one debriefing session to each participant during the course.
Applicants who not offered participant status are encouraged to attend as auditors. Auditors may observe all podium sessions and participate fully in all lectures. Auditors may also have some one-on-one contact with the workshop faculty as the schedule permits. First time workshop attendees and those who are considering graduate conducting studies are particularly encouraged to attend as auditors to gain valuable workshop experience.
Each conducting participant will receive ample podium time in both string quintet/piano sessions and full orchestra sessions. Every participant will conduct at each one of the conducting sessions. Participants will be video recorded, so please bring a high-speed SD card to ensure quality. Expect to play your primary instrument during string quintet/piano sessions when not conducting.
- Participant: $675
- Auditor: $250
- Bruckner- Symphony #4
- Beethoven- Symphony #5
- Shostakovich- Symphony #5 (Finale)
- Berlioz- Symphonie Fantastique (March)
- Copland- Appalachian Spring (13 instrument version)
*All participants will prepare the Copland. In addition, you may choose 1-2 pieces in which to focus. Each movement of a symphony is considered a separate choice for this purpose.
To apply: Click here to complete the application. To complete your application, you must submit a $35 application fee made payable to University of Oregon SOMD. Application deadline is March 20.
Questions? e-mail David Jacobs at email@example.com
What last year’s participants are saying:
- “I thought that I would be expanding my gestural vocabulary, I didn’t realize the workshop would revolutionize how I approach being a musician as a whole.”
- “Very constructive atmosphere maintained by the instructors.”
- “My expectations were exceeded due to the quality of the orchestra, the knowledge of Dr. Jacobs and Dr. Girard, and the friendly, helpful nature of Maestro Varon”
- “Cost, podium time, teachers, quality of orchestra, all make this a very good workshop to attend.”